is a sudden, potentially fatal condition. It's caused by the release of poisonous substances from an overgrowth of bacteria called , or , which is found in many women's bodies. Toxic shock syndrome affects menstruating women, especially those who use super-absorbent tampons. The body responds with a sharp drop in that deprives organs of oxygen and can lead to death. This disease made headlines in the late 1970s and early 1980s after the deaths of several young women who were using a brand of super-absorbent tampon that was later removed from the market. Toxic shock syndrome is still mostly a disease of menstruating women who use tampons. But it has also been linked to the use of menstrual sponges, diaphragms, and cervical caps. A woman who has recently given birth also has a higher chance of getting toxic shock. And it can happen to men and women who have been exposed to bacteria while recovering from surgery, a burn, an open wound, or the use of a device. More than a third of all cases of toxic shock involve women under 19, and up to 30% of women who have had the disease will get it again. If you have ever had toxic shock, you must look out for the symptoms so you can get immediate medical care. People who die from toxic shock are killed by the body's response to the poisons released by bacteria. Most people suffer hypotensive shock, in which the and stop working. If you are menstruating and have a with , especially if you have been using tampons, you must get medical help right away. If you are using a tampon, menstrual sponge, diaphragm, or cervical cap when you become ill, remove it immediately, even before calling your doctor.
More than a third of all cases of toxic shock involve women under 19, and up to 30% of women who have had the disease will get it again. If you have ever had toxic shock, you must look out for the symptoms so you can get immediate medical care.