• Canon Rebel T3
  • The Canon EOS T3 will retail for $599 and it will come bundles with an 18-55mm II lens.
  • Video. The Canon T3 delivers good, basic video recording at 720p/30fps.
  • Video. The Canon T3 delivers good, basic video recording at 720p/30fps.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (discontinued by manufacturer)

$149.92

The one area where the Canon T3 comes up noticeably short is in the area of continuous shooting speed and buffer depth. Our testing found the T3 to be capable of 2.94 frames per second when shooting in JPEG mode, 1.96 fps when shooting in Raw format, and a relatively glacial 1.35 fps for Raw+JPEG. That might seem limiting enough, but Raw shooters will find its very small buffer memory to be even more problematic than its shooting speed. Although the tested burst depth of 17 large/fine JPEGs with our hard-to-compress test target seems reasonable, when shooting Raws the T3 slows after only three frames, and for RAW+JPEG a single frame is enough to fill the buffer completely. None of this is likely to be any problem for casual snapshots or landscape photos, but if you expect to shoot a lot of fast-moving action, or are a dedicated Raw shooter, you'll want to look a little higher in Canon's SLR line.

The one area where the Canon T3 comes up noticeably short is in the area of continuous shooting speed and buffer depth. Our testing found the T3 to be capable of 2.94 frames per second when shooting in JPEG mode, 1.96 fps when shooting in Raw format, and a relatively glacial 1.35 fps for Raw+JPEG. That might seem limiting enough, but Raw shooters will find its very small buffer memory to be even more problematic than its shooting speed. Although the tested burst depth of 17 large/fine JPEGs with our hard-to-compress test target seems reasonable, when shooting Raws the T3 slows after only three frames, and for RAW+JPEG a single frame is enough to fill the buffer completely. None of this is likely to be any problem for casual snapshots or landscape photos, but if you expect to shoot a lot of fast-moving action, or are a dedicated Raw shooter, you'll want to look a little higher in Canon's SLR line.

Reviews

Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D Review - Digital Photography Review

Metering. The Canon T3i inherits Canon's latest metering system, previously seen in the EOS 7D, T2i, and 60D. It's a 63-zone iFCL sensor, which stands for Intelligent Focus, Color, and Luminance metering. The name hints at how the sensor works: the iFCL chip has a dual-layer design with each layer sensitive to different wavelengths of light, allowing subject color to be taken into account when determining exposure. Information on focusing points is also taken into account in metering calculations. In this area, the Canon T3i, T2i, and 60D's iFCL chip differs from that of the EOS 7D.